Maryland Pregnancy Errors Lawyer
The goal of pregnant women and their doctors is to have safe, healthy pregnancies. While serious injuries and death can unfortunately still occur even with the best care, there are situations in which a doctor’s negligence can play a role.
Has a doctor’s negligence led to pregnancy errors that have affected you or your baby? The Maryland pregnancy errors lawyer at Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman can help you hold the doctor liable for your damages.
All doctors have a duty of care. This refers to their legal and moral obligation to care for a patient. The doctor must use their knowledge and abilities to benefit the patient’s health. This includes:
- Patient assessment
- Maintaining medical history for the patient
- Conducting thorough regular examinations
- Assessing risk to identify potential complications
- Treatment of complications
- Providing adequate warning of possible risks, complications, and dangers
- Patient education on proper nutrition and lifestyle
When doctors fail to do any of the above, it is considered a pregnancy error. These errors can lead to complications for the mother and baby.
Common Pregnancy Errors
Doctors need to take quick action during pregnancy. Many errors can occur during pregnancy due to the doctor’s negligence. They include the following:
- Diagnosis errors. These issues may include misdiagnosis or failure to diagnose at all. Diagnosis errors can be serious, since a minor issue can lead to a major complication that can affect both the mother and the baby. Some failure to diagnose errors, such as in the case of hypertension or placental abruption, can even be fatal.
- Lack of testing. To ensure a healthy pregnancy, tests should be performed regularly to check for common conditions that could affect the fetus’ growth and development. These tests may include blood tests, glucose tests, ultrasounds, genetic tests, and other forms of testing based on the mother’s risk.
- Medication errors. Pregnant women may be given medication to help with nausea, high blood pressure, and other issues. The wrong medication or dosage could be harmful to the baby, causing serious complications.
- Childbirth injuries. Many injuries occur during labor and delivery. Doctors and nurses need to monitor the vital signs of the mother and baby and look for any signs of distress. If birthing instruments such as forceps and vacuum extractors are used, they must be used properly to prevent brain injuries. These injuries can lead to learning disabilities, mobility issues, and serious conditions such as cerebral palsy.
Contact Us Today
Pregnancy errors can range from mild to severe. Some are even life-threatening or fatal. They can also be costly, so make sure you get adequate compensation for damages.
A doctor’s actions, or lack thereof, can cause serious harm to a pregnant woman and her baby. The personal injury lawyers at Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman can help you file a medical malpractice claim for your doctor’s negligence and mistakes. Let us fight for your legal rights. Schedule a free consultation by calling (410) 567-0800.