Maryland Misdiagnosis Cancer Lawyer
Cancer is a common disease but it’s still widely misunderstood. Cancer symptoms can be vague and mimic other health conditions, making it one of the most commonly misdiagnosed diseases.
A cancer misdiagnosis is no minor mistake. When cancer is not identified in time or is mistaken for another disease, patients may miss their opportunity for treatment. This lack of treatment can lead to a worsened condition, with the undiagnosed health issue left to progress. This can result in additional health complications and even death.
This means that a misdiagnosis has dire consequences. For this reason, it is important for doctors to thoroughly assess a patient’s symptoms and explore all diagnosis options. This may include proper testing and diagnostics.
Have you or a loved one experienced a cancer misdiagnosis? If so, seek legal help from the Maryland misdiagnosis cancer lawyers at Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman so you can understand your legal options.
Commonly Misdiagnosed Cancers
While any type of cancer may not be immediately diagnosed due to the symptoms present, some cancers are harder to diagnose than others. They include the following:
- Breast cancer. Breast cancer is a type of cancer that is commonly overlooked. It’s possible for it to be misdiagnosed as a non-cancerous cyst. If the breast is red, lumpy, and inflamed, it could be misdiagnosed as mastitis or fibrocystic breast disease instead of inflammatory breast cancer.
- Pancreatic cancer. Pancreatic cancer often causes symptoms in the digestive tract, which can cause a doctor to misdiagnose it as irritable bowel syndrome. Pancreatic cancer may also be misdiagnosed as pancreatitis or gallstones. Also, diabetes is a symptom of pancreatic cancer, so it’s possible for a patient to receive an incorrect diagnosis of diabetes.
- Colorectal cancer. Colorectal cancer affects the rectum and lower intestine, causing it to be mistaken for irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis. In some cases, a person may even be diagnosed as having hemorrhoids instead of colorectal cancer.
- Lung cancer. The symptoms of lung cancer include coughing, wheezing, and shortness of breath. These symptoms can also be found in respiratory infections and other conditions such as asthma, bronchitis, or pneumonia.
- Skin cancer. Melanoma is a rare but often fatal form of skin cancer that is commonly misdiagnosed. Skin cancer often mimics eczema, but skin marks and growths could signal advanced cancer. One of the biggest reasons why skin cancer is misdiagnosed is due to a laboratory error. This is because biopsies are often used to test tissue, but they are prone to errors.
Contact Us Today
Certain cancers can be mistaken for other illnesses. Because of this, it is common for doctors to misdiagnose cancer for something less serious.
When cancer is not diagnosed in time, it can have devastating effects on patients. If you have been affected, count on the personal injury lawyers at Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman. We’ll help you obtain the compensation you deserve. To schedule a free consultation, call (410) 567-0800 today.