Maryland Doctor Error Lawyer
We expect that our doctors will provide us with the best medical care possible. While most do, there are those who are negligent with their care, causing patients to suffer serious harm and even death.
Doctor errors are very common. In fact, medical malpractice is actually the third leading cause of death in the United States. There are many ways in which errors can occur, from missed diagnoses to surgical mistakes. The effects can range from minor to deadly. Have you or a loved one been affected? If so, contact the Maryland doctor error lawyers at Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman to learn about your legal options.
Most Common Medical Errors
Medical errors include the following:
- Misdiagnosis/delayed diagnosis. Not diagnosing a medical condition can have serious effects. It can cause a patient to receive the wrong treatment, causing the disease to worsen and lead to death. Even a delayed diagnosis can have serious effects, since the patient is not getting the right treatment in a timely manner. For example, cancer that is not treated promptly can spread to other parts of the body. Women and minorities tend to receive delayed diagnoses because doctors will often tell them that the pain they are experiencing is “all in their head.”
- Medication errors. It’s not uncommon for a patient to get the wrong dosage of a drug or the wrong medication altogether. Plus, patients may have allergies to certain medications and a bad reaction can lead to dangerous side effects. The doctor or pharmacist may be held liable in these situations.
- Infections. Infections are quite common in hospital settings. There are some strains of bacteria that are resistant to antibiotics, making the situation worse. Medical staff need to ensure proper and thorough sanitation and cleaning of rooms, tools, and devices. Especially since we are still dealing with COVID, staff need to be mindful of eliminating contamination.
- Surgical errors. Surgery is a risky procedure for many reasons. There is often anesthesia involved, plus there are open wounds and various tools that could get stuck inside a patient’s body. On top of that, surgeons have been known to operate on the wrong body part. These are all serious issues that can lead to infections, additional surgeries, and other complications.
- Defective medical devices. Manufacturers must ensure that the devices they put on the market work as intended. If a patient suffers serious harm, the manufacturer could be on the hook for any damages. Pelvic mesh, IUDs, hip replacements, and pain pumps are common defective devices.
Contact Us Today
Doctor errors are very common. A medical professional’s failure to take precautions can lead to significant injuries.
If you have suffered harm due to a doctor’s negligence, seek legal help from the personal injury lawyers at Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman. Our aggressive team can help you file a medical malpractice lawsuit against your doctor. To schedule a free consultation, call (410) 567-0800 today.