Baltimore Fetal Ultrasound Errors Lawyer
Of all the tools used to assess and monitor a pregnancy, ultrasounds have become one of the most important. Ultrasounds, also known as sonograms, generate actual images of the developing fetus and the woman’s womb so doctors can identify serious conditions and treat them as quickly as possible. Still, ultrasound errors do occur and when that happens, it can result in catastrophic injuries. When a mother or baby is harmed due to an ultrasound error, they can often file a medical malpractice claim to recover financial compensation for their losses.
Medical malpractice claims are some of the most complex to file. If you or your child has been hurt, a Baltimore fetal ultrasound errors lawyer can help you claim the full damages you deserve.
How Ultrasounds are Used During Pregnancy
Ultrasounds assist with many different factors during a pregnancy. A doctor will use an ultrasound to:
- Confirm a pregnancy
- Determine the age of the fetus, as well as the approximate due date
- Examine a woman’s womb, including her ovaries and uterus
- Determine whether it is a multiple pregnancy that includes twins, triplets, or other sets of multiples
- Assess the fetal heartbeat
- Monitor the muscle tone, movement, and growth of the fetus
- Identify health conditions and birth defects that may affect the child
- Diagnose complications related to the pregnancy, such as an ectopic pregnancy
- Confirm the position of the fetus before birth
- Identify any risks of birth injuries so they can be prevented
The above are necessary steps during a pregnancy so doctors can identify possible fetal and gynecological conditions. Unfortunately, mistakes are sometimes made and when that is the case, they are very harmful to both the mother and the developing fetus.
Common Fetal Ultrasound Errors
Fetal ultrasound errors are often the result of negligence. This negligence, or carelessness, can be a result of technicians who are inexperienced, equipment that is not properly maintained, doctors who do not correctly interpret ultrasound results, and communication failures between technicians, doctors, and others on the medical team. Some of the most common fetal ultrasound errors include:
- Images of poor quality
- Lack of education or training in sonography
- Misinterpreting the results of an ultrasound
- Failing to identify an existing condition
- Misdiagnosis of fetal or maternal conditions
- Damaged or defective equipment
- Lack of properly maintaining equipment
- Failing to order further tests when necessary
- Failing to communicate the results of a sonogram to other treatment providers or the parents
Due to the fact that there are many people involved in properly executing and interpreting a sonogram, it is not always easy to determine which party is liable for fetal ultrasound errors. A Baltimore birth injury lawyer can identify the negligent party and hold them accountable for paying full damages.
Our Birth Injury Lawyers in Baltimore Can Advise on Your Claim
If you have suffered an injury, or your child has suffered harm due to a fetal ultrasound error, our Baltimore birth injury lawyers are here to help. At Wais, Vogelstein, Forman, Koch & Norman, LLC, our skilled attorneys have extensive experience with medical malpractice claims and we will help you claim the full damages you deserve. Call us today at 410.567.0800 or contact us online to schedule a free consultation.