Brian M. Cathell
Brian is a trial lawyer. Prior to joining WVFK&N, Brian was a Partner at one of Maryland’s most successful medical malpractice defense firms before realizing that his true passion was helping the victims of medical negligence. During his years of defending health care providers, Brian gained invaluable experience with complicated medical issues and the tactics and strategies employed by the insurance industry.
- Medical Malpractice
- Birth Injury
Although a Maryland native, Brian has traveled all over the country for his cases and has worked closely with national trial firms on medical malpractice matters. He has handled litigation matters in every trial-level court in Maryland and the District of Columbia and has obtained numerous unanimous jury verdicts in favor of his clients. In addition to Maryland and the District of Columbia, he is also admitted to practice law in the United States District Court for the District of Maryland and the United States Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
Brian’s tireless commitment to his clients has caused him to progress quickly through his career – having successfully prosecuted his first Murder trial by the age of 30 and having made Partner at a large Maryland law firm at the age of 35.
Brian has also been recognized by his peers as a Super Lawyers’ “Rising Star” every year since he entered civil practice, and he has twice been named to the esteemed Benchmark Litigation’s “40 & Under Hot List” in the area of medical malpractice – an honor shared only by one other attorney in Maryland and that required case examinations and extensive client and peer reviews conducted by Benchmark’s editorial team. Recently, Brian was recognized by The Best Lawyers in America 2021.
Prior to moving to civil litigation, Brian was an Assistant State’s Attorney for Baltimore County where he tried hundreds of cases to verdict, including three First-Degree Murder jury trials. During his time there, Brian was given the responsibility of training new prosecutors and was frequently consulted by his colleagues regarding trial strategy and technique. He was also specially assigned to handle matters of a high-profile nature, some of which drew national media attention.
After receiving his law degree, Brian clerked for the Honorable Mickey J. Norman in the Circuit Court for Baltimore County.
- Court of Appeals of Maryland
- District of Columbia Bar
- US District Court of Maryland
- US Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
Bar Associations & Organizations
- American Bar Association
- Maryland State Bar Association
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- Bar Association of Baltimore City
- District of Columbia Bar Association
- Judge, Third Judicial Circuit Mock Trial Competition 2010-2016
- MSAA Trial Advocacy Program, November 2009
- Maryland Rule 17-207 Mediation Certificate
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D., 2006-2009
- West Virginia University, B.A. Public Relations, 2001-2005
- Cathell, Brian and Jackson, Kathryn, Not What the Doctor Ordered: Maryland’s Non-Economic Damage Cap Reaches Record High in 2019, JDSupra (March 1, 2019)
- Cathell, Brian and Jackson, Kathryn, Best Practices for Healthcare Facilities in Preventing Workplace Violence and Liability, JDSupra (September 25, 2018)