Gary A. WaisSenior Partner
Gary A. Wais is the senior managing partner in the law firm of Wais, Vogelstein, Forman & Offutt. For over 29 years he has dedicated his practice to representing the most seriously injured victims of medical malpractice, with a focus on cases involving birth injuries, cerebral palsy, spine and brain injuries and wrongful death. Mr. Wais has obtained and continues to achieve record-setting verdicts and settlements on behalf of his clients.
Awards and Recognitions
- Maryland Trial Lawyer of the Year – 2012
- Maryland “Super Lawyer” – 2007 (inaugural year), 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
- The American Trial Lawyers Association “Top 100 Trial Lawyers” – 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013
- The American Society of Legal Advocates “Top 100 Litigation Lawyer in the State of Maryland” – Member
- Million and Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum – Member
Mr. Wais has personally handled and resolved either by verdict or settlement numerous cases in excess $10,000,000.00. A representative sample of newspaper headlines reporting solely on jury verdicts include the following:
- “Jury awards $55 Million for birth injury” – The Daily Record
- “Jury awards $21 Million for birth injury” – The Daily Record
- “Widow wins $14 Million” – The Baltimore Sun
- “UM Medical Center to pay $6.9 Million for negligence” – The Baltimore Sun
- ‘’Malpractice suit Plaintiff is awarded $4.4 Million” – The Baltimore Sun
- “Jury awards parents $4.0 Million” – The Daily Record
In Gary’s almost 30 years of practice, he has also settled hundreds of medical malpractice cases other than birth injury and brain injury cases. A substantial number of these cases resulted in settlements of over $1,000,000.00. These other cases involved emergency room failures, failure to diagnose and/or properly treat cancer, heart issues, stroke, amputation, and death cases.
Besides medical malpractice, Mr. Wais has also represented victims of legal malpractice, including participating in a jury trial that resulted in a $12,000,000.00 verdict for the parents of a teen who died as a result of an anesthesia mishap. The family went to a lawyer to represent them for this tragedy and the lawyer negligently allowed the medical malpractice case to be dismissed.
Mr. Wais has likewise successfully represented victims of drowning accidents and obtained a jury verdict of $4,000,000.00 and a settlement for another client in excess of $5 million dollars.
As a result of Mr. Wais’ experience and success, he has been asked and has presented seminars and lectures on the subject of medical malpractice to fellow medical malpractice lawyers in Maryland.
Mr. Wais is licensed to practice law in the State of Maryland. He has been specially admitted pro hac vice in cases in Washington, D.C. and Ohio. He has also investigated cases in Pennsylvania, Delaware, West Virginia, Ohio, Kansas, Oregon, Illinois, and Florida.
- University of Maryland, B.S. 1978
- University of Miami, M.B.A. with Certificate in Health Administration, 1980
- University of Baltimore School of Law, J.D. 1983
Bar Admissions and Organizations
- Maryland State Bar
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Maryland Association for Justice
- American Association of Justice